Thursday, July 14, 2016

STEM Day - Water Rockets

It has been way too long since I have wrote a post on here. I am finally getting around to blogging about our last STEM Day of the year. We did this over two full days at the end of the year. It was the best time to do it. The kids had a blast and was an overall great experience. It really helped hammer in what we had been working on with force, motion, and speed.    

On my TpT page, I have included the lesson plan I followed (with Marzano elements embedded) and a PowerPoint. The lesson plan is detailed and includes student handouts as well.  The PowerPoint will guide you through the lesson (so you aren't reading from a lesson plan the whole time) but also let's the students have access to what they need to see during the lesson. 


The students had to design a water rocket from materials given. They had to build a prototype of a rocket ship which will travel the greatest distance in the least amount of time to deliver more fuel and necessary supplies. They had many different materials to choose from and worked together in their groups to come up with their designs. Overall, the kids had a great time and it was a great way to end the year. You can get the whole lesson plan and digital resources on my Teachers Pay Teachers. 


*I did this with my fourth graders. However, it can be done with 2-5 if students have the basic background knowledge. I have included many slides and resources for background knowledge in the lesson plan.

Here are some pictures and videos of my class working on the STEM activity!











Below are the pictures and videos of the water rockets being launched. Since I have a co-teacher, she launched the rockets while I timed them and took the video/pictures. The re-design was crucial for my class. The first day, only 1 rocket launched. However, after the re-design, all groups launched their rockets. Enjoy!



video

video

video


video



CLICK HERE!



-Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment